Monday, May 10, 2010

Journeys

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of listening to people tell me how I should be happy because other people have it worse than I do.  While I acknowledge that there are people that DO have it worse than me, it doesn't mean that my problems are any less real or any less difficult for me to deal with.  Yes, there are people who are starving while I have food on my table every night.  Yes, there are people with children dying of cancer while I have a child whose biggest issue right now is an infection in her finger.  Yes, there are people who are homeless while I have a (big) roof over my head.  I get all of that.  But I don't feel guilty or ashamed of what I DO have.  My husband and I have worked hard for what we have.  And I'm not saying that other people don't.  Everyone falls on hard times.  Lord knows we have, but it still doesn't mean that when I complain about something, it isn't important to me.  And y'know what?  REAL friends understand that.  Yes, we can laugh at how silly some of it may seem in the grand scheme of things, but true friends also talk through the issue, calm fears, and help find solutions.  Not just throw out "well, so and so has it much worse than you!"

Everyone has their own journey in life.  I can be there to support those that I'm close to but even still, when something happens, there is only so much of myself that I can invest in a situation that isn't truly my own.  I really do believe that we have to go through things to learn our lessons and to move forward.  Having someone else fret over an issue that doesn't involve them really does no good.  Yes, we can feel pain, sympathy, and loss for other people, but at some point you have to draw the line.  If you asked someone if they really wanted you to stop your life for them and their issues, they would say no.  So be a good friend and listen to the problems of others.  Offer a solution or a helping hand if need be.  But for the love of god, don't tell them some sob story about how fortunate they are and they don't really understand how hard it is for other people.

I know that none of the people I'm talking about read this blog.  Although perhaps today should be the day I forward it on to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment