Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ghosts

I believe in ghosts. Not the spooky, scary kind of ghosts, but rather spirits. The souls of those that have passed on.

I don't believe in God and I don't think there is a heaven, Garden of Eden, or someplace where 10,000 virgins are waiting for me. I don't necessarily know where our souls go when we die, but I do believe they are out there somewhere. I believe we can communicate with them if we want to. We can call on them for help and advice.

I've had quite a few experiences with spirits in my lifetime. Last night was no different. I had a dream about my dad.

I was in a car with my father (who passed away in 2007). He was driving and I was sitting behind him. He was trying to show me the cottage he has been living in since he left my mother (his words). He was pointing to the cottage but I couldn't see it. I reached my hand out and he held it for awhile.

Then I woke up.

It was such a peaceful, calm and comforting dream. I really do believe my father came to me to let me know he's ok. I believe he tried to show me how lovely his world is even though I couldn't see it with my own eyes. I don't think it was a message of "This is heaven. Be good and you can come here too!" I think it was just my dad popping in to say hello and tell me he's ok.

Now maybe I'm just as crazy as the Mormons who believe that God speaks to them personally. But having these dreams/experiences gives me peace and can restore hope when I need it the most. It's like my own personal magic 8 ball. Maybe it's just my brain trying to keep me sane in an otherwise insane world. Maybe it IS all just a dream. Who knows? All I know is that being able to see my dad again and hold his hand is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Sylvia Brown has a book (I wish I could remember the name of it!). anyway, Terri suggested I read it and her description of what happens afterward is very much in line with what you are describing. After I read it, I was no longer afraid of dying (one of my long time fears). If you want it, I'll send it your way.

    ReplyDelete