Monday, January 4, 2010

The Tipping Point

I'm at the tipping point. This happens to me every few months or so. It's just a point in time when I feel like a caged animal. Like I absolutely MUST get of dodge before I go insane. When I'm at work, I just want to be home. When I'm at home, I want to be somewhere else. It's a vicious cycle. And this shitty weather isn't helping either. We've barely had sun in weeks and the temps are in the single digits. So when you do go out, you are running your ass from the car to whatever building you're going to because if you don't, you might very well freeze into a solid block of ice right then and there.

Before Christmas I was completely wrapped up in the stress and drama of the holidays. Running around non-stop buying gifts, hosting parties, smoothing feathers and trying to keep everyone happy. I even gave myself a migraine on Christmas Eve. Yes, I know, I'm so generous when it comes to giving myself gifts. Anyway, now that the holidays are over and the stress is gone, it's like that adrenaline let down. After weeks of running on nothing but caffeine, now I'm in the exhaustion stage. Focusing on work is harder than normal. The weather is making me want to call the doc and ask for prozac. The endless blather of every day life makes me want to run screaming for the nearest airport.

I've been longingly looking at old travel photographs wondering how and when I can swing a trip. The Top Gay and I have a trip to New York planned in 2 short weeks but that feels like an eternity from now. And while New York is my home and a fabulous weekend get away, it's not a VACATION per se. Yes, I know that sounds uptight and spoiled but so be it. I need to be lounging at some sidewalk cafe drinking wine watching the world go by. Preferably with an ancient monument in the background and a foreign language being shouted by passersby. Warm and sunny would be nice (hell, at this point anything above freezing would work), but I wouldn't shun a chilly locale with some charm and personality.

I recently received one of those e-saver emails from USAir. They have flights to the Bahamas for $200. I'm really trying hard to find a good reason NOT to book such a ticket. Yes, money is tight and yes, the kid has to go to school, but really, can't all that be worked around? Seriously? Cause I'm about to go insane here.

No comments:

Post a Comment