Monday, March 1, 2010

I think I need a Facebook break

I'm not sure if it's a rite of passage, the full moon, or just me, but I really think I need a break from Facebook. 

Over the last few days I've been driven to near rage just reading the idiotic comments people have posted.  For example, in (slightly) upstate NY (where I grew up) they received about 2 feet of snow.  The posts started showing up about how power was out and people were huddled around candles.  No one really complained much.  Then, of course, the whiners begin to chime in.  One in particular issues a plea for help as her generator was running out of gas and her husband wouldn't be home for 2 more days.  Yes, her GENERATOR.  Are you fucking kidding me?  The majority of people in this world don't OWN a generator and you're bitching because you're about to run out of gas?  Who do you want to save you?  The people that are already freezing their asses off?  "I need a plow or someone to bring me gas!"  Oh I'm sorry Your Highness, I'll get right on that.

30 hours later this person posted again.  "30 hours with no power = no water = dirty kids."  Her kids are elementary school aged.  They participate in dance competitions.  They are not the kind of kids that are rolling around in the mud (if there even was any mud to be had).  What exactly are they doing that they are so horrifically dirty?  Get a grip.

Another friend in Texas was freaking out about the dusting of snow they received.  I know Texas doesn't get snow regularly, but to post a photo on FB of the snow on the grass and the dry sidewalks and streets and then say "I don't understand WHY they haven't closed school!" is a little ridiculous.

Then there were the people frantically worried about some long lost friend in Hawaii.  "If you read this, please let us know you're ok!"  If you were really a good friend, you would pick up the phone and CALL this person rather than giving a shout out on Facebook.  I think this person might be busy moving to higher ground and not worried about contacting people she clearly hasn't spoken to since college.

I also don't like being solicited for charity donations via FB.  I appreciate that you are trying to raise money for cancer research but please don't send me 10 messages and post on my wall how you REALLY need my money.  If I have the money and want to donate, I will.  If I can't donate, or only want to donate to my local charity, I will.  Asking me 10,000 times is not going to get me to give you my cash.  It will only make me NOT donate out of spite.

I appreciate Facebook and it's ability to let me reconnect with people I haven't seen or spoken to in a long time.  It's nice to get a quick peek into their lives.  However, this does not mean that I need or want to know when you wiped your ass or how you think Downs Syndrome is a not a disease and 99% of people won't repost this.  Maybe it IS me.  Or maybe I just need to find better "friends".

No comments:

Post a Comment