Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Flying

Overall, I'm not afraid of flying.  I have done a lot of it in my lifetime so it's very much second nature to me.  Every once in awhile though, I get a twinge of nervousness.  What makes me nervous you ask?  Well, first of all, the people that actually read the emergency evacuation pamphlet.  I know there are always first time flyers, but in an emergency, you should still instinctively know what to do.  Move toward and exit, open the door, evacuate.  I mean, it's pretty basic.  And, the majority of the other people on the plane will know what to do so worse case, you just follow their lead.

Secondly, a new flight attendant on a small aircraft also makes me nervous.  I had this situation just this weekend.  It was a prop plane with only 10 rows of seats.  The flight attendant was nervously pacing the aisle and writing stuff down.  She stopped between me and the kid quite a few times and was jotting stuff down.  Then she looked at the man next to me and wrote more stuff down.  She was in and out of her purse in the overhead bin and you could see her hands shaking.  When she did her announcements, she had to turn her back to us while she read word for word out of her little flight attendant handbook.  Even then, she messed up.  Like she couldn't remember where we were flying to (Atlanta) or what the pilot's name was (Corey).  So yeah, I got a little freaked out.  I hate those prop planes to begin with but then to have your "leader" in an emergency freaking out before we even take off?  Not so great for the nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment