Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday Night

So it's 10:30pm on Friday and I'm sitting in my dark bedroom listening to my sickly six year old sleep next to me.

When I got home from work everything was fine. I walked the dog (who would not stop barking and jumping until I took her out) and chatted with the husband. The kid was playing with her friend and complained of a cough. I gave her some cough medicine and sent her on her way. Less than an hour later she sent her friend home (!!!) and told me her throat hurt from coughing.

I was about to head out for my weekly Wal-Mart run and the kid wanted to come with me. As we were pulling into the parking lot, she zonked out. We drove around for a bit and then just headed home. I got her into our bed and got the tv turned on. When I kissed her forehead to test her temp she was burning up. 102.3. Ouch. So I gave her some Motrin and sat with her for a bit. About a half out later I went back to Wal-Mart by myself to stock up on Powerade, Motrin and crackers. When I got home she seemed better so we finished up Camp Rock 2: the Final Jam and now she's sleeping. Hopefully soundly for the night.

But in all of this, I'm grateful. In my random blog reading this week I found a woman in Utah who was in a terrible plane crash 2 years ago and was burned on over 80% of her body. As I read her blog, I am reminded of how good I have it. While there are a lot of things that make me unhappy in my life right now, all of those things are pretty superfluous. I have a job, a family, and good health for all of us. I don't struggle with intense pain just trying to get out of bed every day. I don't have to endure surgeries and long hospital stays. I am lucky. And thankful.

And now I'm off to sleep because I feel a bit sick myself. Not sure if it's sympathy nausea or the real deal. And I'm not sure how much sleep we'll get tonight. But this too shall pass. I just hope it passes without any major puking.

No comments:

Post a Comment