Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Holidays

Ahhh...the first big holiday is almost upon us. That time of year where we all pretend like we're thrilled to be with our families. The crazy Aunt that barely speaks to you, the wild screaming kids, the drunk sister-in-law...

Tomorrow I will conquer holiday air travel with my 5 year old. Alone. My husband decided that the one extra ticket was too much money so he is going to stay home. Alone. I think he just doesn't want to go to my mother's, and that's fine. His parents invited him down to their house. He declined. Our cleaning lady invited him to her house. He declined. Hey, if he wants to be alone, that's fine, but I KNOW he will call me 18 times a day once we're gone. He does it every time. Then I'll get annoyed and he'll get annoyed and HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

Sunday is his extended family Thanksgiving. He has decided that he wants to go to that. Yep, a day with family that he never speaks to. A day with family that he always complains about. And all this after my 5 year old and I get home at 11pm the night before. Sounds like a blast!

Can't you just feel the joy and love that the holidays bring?

Next up is Christmas where I try to balance my mother with his parents. Once the kid was born we told all parties involved that we were no longer traveling for Christmas. Santa comes to OUR house and OUR house only. For some reason his parents can't get the idea that they should come on the opposite year. Y'know, like my mother comes this year and his parents come next year. And I "favor" my mother since she has to buy airline tickets to get here. His parents can drive up whenever they please. It's not that far.

Anyway, two years ago my in-laws decided that they were going to come and stay for a week. No asking, no consulting, just decided. When they told us of this decision I promptly flipped shit and told my dearest that there was no way in hell they were doing that. I wouldn't even let my own mother stay for a week. In any case, that created World War III. Me wanting personal space somehow equaled me hating his parents and never wanting to spend time with them. And people wonder why I drink?

So here's to another year of family, friends and booze. Here's to hoping you don't remember the insults but DO remember what you are really thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment