Friday, November 20, 2009

Vampires and Werewolves and Whiny Girls, OH MY!!

Yep.  It's New Moon weekend.  It's not something I ever thought I would blog about, but here I am.  I guess what sparked it for me was logging on to Facebook and seeing just about every single status updated referencing the movie.  Egads.  Now, for the record, I did read the entire series (all 4 books) in about a a week and a half all while completely ignoring the needs of my child.  But whatever.  I was sucked in.  I loved it.  I sat at work and stared at the clock counting down the minutes until I could get home to finish the book.  I would spend half my day trying to figure out what time I could skip out of work so that I could get to the bookstore, pick up the next book and still get to daycare on time.  I don't know what sort of magical powers that Stephanie Meyer has (other than her magical underwear), but she got a hold of me (wait...maybe this is a world takeover by the Mormons!).
 
Last year when Twilight came out in the theaters, I found a friend/neighbor that was secretly geeked about the series to go with me.  Yes, I whispered "Edward" to her and she immediately knew what I meant.  We did the secret handshake and were on our way.  ANYWAY, when we got to the theater we were the two oldest people in attendance.  I mean, you would think we were seeing the Curious George movie or something.  Wow.  I'm thrilled that kids are reading, but some of those kids just seem YOUNG.  And it showed when they spent half of the movie just giggling when Edward and Bella would get close or kiss.  But again, I guess with the good hearty Mormon values of abstinence before marriage, it not all THAT bad for kids, right? 
 
So flash forward to this week.  Slowly the Facebook status updates started to reference the movie.  Yesterday it went pretty full blown with every grown woman I know posting about how they were going to some midnight showing of the movie.  They were sending flair to each other and quoting lines from the book.  Did you know there are people that even had whole passages from the novel tattooed on their backs?!  (no, no one I know...thank god)  Now, I can understand how the idea of someone like Edward would be appealing.  Who wouldn't want a gorgeous, rich man who never ages and is entirely devoted to you?  We're only human (har!).  But some of these woman are just...obsessed.  Like somehow they suddenly can't draw the line between reality and fiction (must be the Mormons again - bring out the golden plates!).  Edward isn't REAL!  He's too damn perfect to be real.  And if he WAS real, he wouldn't settle for that whiny brat Bella!  And he certainly wouldn't let her name their child Renesmee for cryin' out loud. 

But I digress.
 
So while I WANT to see the movie (and I will see it), I cringe just a little bit thinking about the looney bin that I'm being lumped into.  I wonder if anyone will show up in their Michael Jackson ensembles?

No comments:

Post a Comment