Monday, November 23, 2009

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I am a grouch in the morning.  Regardless of how much sleep I get, I am a grouch.  If you call before 10am, the house better be on fire or someone better be dead.  You're lucky if I even answer the phone before then.  And don't be surprised that I don't want to chat at whatever ungodly hour you call.  I barely talk to my own kid before 10am.  Just a lot of grunting.  When the Top Gay and I travel together we don't speak before 10am.  We'll get up, eat breakfast, drink coffee and just stare at our surroundings.  It's just understood that there is no communicating in the morning.  It's why we get along so well.
 
This morning the alarm went off at it's usual 7am.  Annoyed, I slapped the snooze button.  Then I realized that I was suppose to be at work EARLY today.  Then I also realized that due to Murphy's Law, the damn dog didn't wake me up at 5am like usual.  Argh.  So I finally dragged my sorry ass out of bed and got in the shower.  I tried to remind myself that this is only a 2 day work week for me, but that still did nothing to lift my mood.  See, I'm a sleeper (and a champion napper).  Always have been.  When I was a kid, my mom would have to wake me up 5 or 6 times every morning just to get me up for school.  Then I would be pissed at her and she would be pissed at me.  This is how we started out every single day.  On the weekends, I was allowed to sleep until 10am.  Then she would wake me up saying I didn't need to sleep any later.  If she was feeling particularly pissy, she would start vacuuming at 9am. 
 
In college, I slept until 12 or 1pm.  If I had an early class, I would just sleep through it.  I wouldn't even TRY to get up on time.  One year, my Top Gay and I each had a class at about 10am.  We made a deal that we would get up, eat breakfast at the Student Union and then go to class.  This worked fine until I realized that the Top Gay was eating and then going back to the dorm to sleep.  I was pissed that I was too tired to think of this myself.
 
In my early working days I didn't even have a cube.  Just a desk.  A desk in a room with 3 other desks.  No privacy.  I would try to sit quietly and not speak.  Sometimes people would attempt to engage me but they quickly caught on that speaking to me in the early morning was not a good idea.  Especially if they liked having their head attached to their body.
 
Now I'm fortunate enough to have an office with a door.  A luxury that I use often.  I'm still training the crew here on the idea that if my door (or any door for that matter) is shut, you KNOCK.  You don't just bust in at your leisure.  You don't knock and open the door at the same time.  I mean, would you do that if you were going into a bathroom?  A dressing room in a store?  Someone's home?  No, you wouldn't.  So don't do it here either.  My door is shut for a reason and if you value your life, you'll knock.  Especially if it's before 10am.

No comments:

Post a Comment