Friday, December 4, 2009

Fore!!!

I came in to work today thinking about the gays and some crazy ass website I found yesterday that wants to convert homos back to heteros. There was just SO MUCH to talk about with that site. But I guess I'll have to file that away for another day when I have writer's block because today all I can think about is Tiger Woods.

Yep. Tiger "I can't keep it in my pants" Woods. The same Tiger Woods we've all watched grow up. The one pro athlete that we all thought was actually GOOD. Like, had a family, was a great dad, a charitable person type of good. And in one fateful night that was all shot to hell.

Now, a few things here. First of all, his statement about how he was shocked at the media focus on him on this issue is just ridiculous. Tiger clearly has people. Lots of people. He is VERY well managed. He's been trained. Don't try to tell me that you're shocked at the media attention. You're one of the most well known athletes in the world, buddy. You have a hemorrhoid and everyone wants to knows about it. I don't care how tight your circle is. You have made over a billion dollars playing golf (of all things!). You're a phenom. People are fascinated and in turn, want to know more about what makes you so great.

Secondly, I do agree that just because you're famous doesn't mean that you have to tell the world every intimate detail about your life. You are still a human and have a right to your privacy. BUT (and that's a big but here), I also feel that with the fame and fortune comes the necessity to speak to the media and put some stuff out there. I HATE when celebrities think they are too good to talk to the press. Yes, I absolutely think the press is way too intrusive sometimes, but when you live your life in the public eye, there are some things that go along with that. Good or bad, that's the deal. If you don't like it, then stop cashing the checks.

Thirdly, what is with pro athletes and their inability to keep it in their pants? Seriously. Kobe Bryant taking up with a 19 year old? Tiger with 3 women (at least that we know of) on the side? Michael Jordan? Magic Johnson? There are tons of examples. But I just don't get it. Is it that you have all the fame and fortune but still have that gaping hole in your life? All of these men have beautiful wives and families at home and they are out boinking some mediocre chick in Vegas (or Colorado, or Chicago, or wherever). I wonder if these wives even think about this sort of thing before walking down the aisle. Is it just accepted that this will happen?

The current Tiger rumor is that he's offering his wife big money to stay with him. Like millions and millions of dollars. Word is that his people think she helps his image. I wonder what she thinks. I hope to god that it's more along the lines of "Does he even really love me?" and not "Well, I would never have to work again!"

And when you have a bazillion kajillion dollars, people are going to screw you over to get some of it. So when that cocktail waitress comes up to you in Vegas, you can bet your ass she's going to sell you down the river when the whole scene comes to light. Everyone has bills to pay and society ain't what it use to be. The rags will pay the chick and her life will go on while yours may be damaged forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment