Thursday, December 3, 2009

Happy, happy, joy, joy

Have you ever meet someone who is just perpetually unhappy? Someone who no matter what wonderful things happen to them they are still just not happy? Well, I know someone like that and it's maddening.

I complain. I probably complain more than I should. But I can also see the joy and happiness in things. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve so I get why people may think I'm unhappy sometimes. But when I'm really happy, it shows. I don't do Tom Cruise couch jumping but I will get a big goofy smile and I will get all jittery and jumpy.

Now for me to be happy I don't need jewels or fancy toys (although those don't hurt either). I get really excited about doing stuff for other people. I get it when Oprah talks about shit like that. And I'm not some do-gooder that runs around doing charity work. I have a life of my own that I can barely keep up with. Sure, if I was a lady of leisure I would probably do some charity work, but hell, for right now, I'm looking for someone to give ME some charity. But I digress.

I get a lot of joy out of watching my kid do things. I get joy out of travel and experiencing new things. I get joy out of spending time with my family. Some pretty basic, simple things. What is wrong with people that they can't see the joy in things like this?

My very own darling husband is one of these...shall we say...joyless people. It's not to say that he's not ever happy, but he's just never satisfied. You could hand the man $1 million in cash and he wouldn't be happy. There would be some initial happiness but then he would go on about how it's not enough and how there needs to be more. Shit, if someone handed me a million bucks in cash I would run through the streets naked (and I'm willing to test this if anyone is willing to give me the dough - for keeps).

The Top Gay confronted my husband on this very issue today (not being happy that is) and my darling's response? "Fuck you!" Yep, there you have it folks.

I like to think that I enjoy my life. Sure it's got it's ups and downs but in general, I'm happy. I always wish I could do more, but I'm grateful for the things I DO get to do. I make a big effort to please myself (not like THAT gutter-heads!). I work hard and I make sure I play hard too. I've earned it! So I just don't get these people that sit around and moan and groan about their lives. Again, I'm not saying I haven't, but when people say things to me like "I WISH I could do that" I just don't GET it. You CAN do whatever you want! You just need to make yourself a priority. Make YOURSELF happy and you will make others happy too. Really, it's not that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment