Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What ever happened to common sense?

Driving in to work today I was listening to CNN on XM radio. They had a quick blurb on how roman shades and window blinds (50 million of them) were being recalled due to strangulation. I think they said there were 5 deaths total in the last few years. Gee, 5 whole deaths? That's all it takes to recall millions of window coverings? Now I'm not saying those deaths weren't tragic or devastating to the families they affected, but what is this world coming to that we have 5 deaths and now have to take back all the window coverings? Do people seriously not know that putting a cord around your neck is bad? Do they leave cords lying around when children are present?

And what about the swine flu? Oh wait, I'm sorry, the H1N1. Don't want to offend any pigs here. A few people get sick and suddenly there is mass hysteria. Even my own husband jumped on the bandwagon. "We need to get her vaccinated!" People were wearing masks everywhere you went. Hand sanitizer within reach no matter where you were. What happened that people stopped practicing basic hygiene? Why did I need a 10 page document (literally) from daycare telling me how to wash my hands? Are we a bunch a savages that have suddenly discovered that we can spread germs if we don't wash our hands?

Last week I wrote about some 21 year old guy that literally got out of his car on the highway after an accident. He got out because he saw a truck headed towards him. Are we now going to recall vehicles because someone was too dumb to remember to stay INSIDE of one while on the highway?

I sometimes think that we have access to too much information. It's like those Bing ads:



You have to stop and wonder how on earth we survived as a species. How did we all survive without car seats and bike helmets? Without cell phones and computers?

The answer? We survived with common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment