Friday, December 18, 2009

Jersey

I'm old. I mean I did find THREE gray hairs the other day. THREE! But I think the real reason I'm old is because I watched Jersey Shore on MTV.

Everyone has been talking about this show. The Italian-Americans are all up in arms about how this portrays them. Funny, no one seemed to care about The Godfather or The Sopranos. There was even a reality show about Victoria Gotti and her family; and let's not forget The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Somehow, these shows were ok, but Jersey Shore is not. A show about a bunch of 20-something kids doing what 20-something kids do. And don't they realize that raising a stink only causes MORE people to watch just to see what everyone is huffing and puffing about? Duh.

I just don't get why people are shocked and upset about this. Personally, I think it's dumb. It's a bunch of kids thinking they are better than everyone else and generally causing a lot of un-necessary drama. And what's with all the stupid nicknames? Really, what girl is gonna fall for some douche bag with a name like "The Situation"? Only the girl that sees the camera crew, that's who. And what about J-Woww (yes, two W's). Guys like her because she prances around half naked. Not because of the 2 W's in her name or the brain that I know resides inside of her skull.

I grew up in New York. I know all about guidos and the Jersey Shore. I spent lots of time with both in my younger years. But then I graduated college and moved to DC and guess what? The same scene was happening there. Mix a bunch of government staffers who thing they are god's gift and cart them up to Bethany Beach in Delaware and there you have it. Point being that while MTV focused on a group that frequents the Jersey Shore, the same type of people are everywhere and they are all doing the same things. Get over it.

So thanks Italian-Americans for making me tune in. Unfortunately for MTV, I'm tuning back out. Apparently I'm too old.

No comments:

Post a Comment