Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Starvation and piercings

So I was emailing with co-blogger (ahem) H today.  I had just finished up my oh-so-filling Lean Cuisine lunch and was wondering what the hell I was going to eat the rest of the day.  I work in a medical office where we get free lunches from the big drug companies.  These bountiful buffets arrive about 3-4 times per week.  Anything from Panera, Olive Garden, Qdoba, to all out catered affairs (last week we had prime rib, potatoes, veggies, rolls, the works!).  I'm use to eating real meals for lunch.  Of course this is probably why I'm perfecting the "secretary spread" but whatever.  Sadly, today we have no lunch.  Yes, this makes the natives restless.  Kind of like when we DO get lunch but it doesn't come with dessert.  Yeah, we're spoiled.  Deal with it.
 
Anyway, since there was no meal today, I dug into the office freezer and found an old Lean Cuisine meal I had stored in there.  Cheese ravioli.  Just to clarify, that's 5 cheese raviolis.  5.  That's it.  No more, no less.  You better hope that 5 quarter sized raviolis are going to fill you up cause that's all you get.  How do people SURVIVE on this stuff?  I mean, it doesn't taste half bad, but really, it's like a morsel of what I normally eat.  I get that this is probably a normal serving size and I eat way more than what I should, but damn.  Can't they throw in a piece of garlic bread or something? 
 
So after I gorge myself on Lean Cuisine, H sends me an email with photos of people who have tattooed and pierced themselves into oblivion.  Having a tattoo myself, I'm all for the whole self-expression thing, but who ARE these people that literally turn themselves into animals?  Fanged teeth, cheek implants and a tattooed leopard on your face?  How do you even get to that point?  And more importantly, what do these people do for a living that let's them look this way and be productive members of society?  And as H mentioned, what happens when they are 65?  Do they ever regret it?  Or are they happy with a droopy leopard face?
 
And what about those piercings?  The email had a man with knives criss-crossed through his nose.  WTF?  I'm sure it's all for show (hell, it better be!) but wow...just wow.  I don't know what I would think if I saw that person in the grocery store.  Actually I would probably grab my kid and leave. 
 
For now I'm grabbing my money and leaving.  To visit the vending machine that is.  Thank god for the vending machine. 

1 comment:

  1. Life is pain (my piercings are on in the inside).
    -ADULTEMO

    ReplyDelete