Wednesday, December 30, 2009

hate, hate, hate

You know what I hate about this week? I hate that I feel like the whole world is on vacation except for me. Every single company I work with is closed this week. Driving to work I pass through a major university. Students and staff are off for winter break. I pass by a major equipment company. They are closed. It's like a dead zone. Except for me, driving to work.

You know what else I hate? How a large majority of these companies are closed and the employees have the time off FOR FREE! When my office is closed on Christmas Day, I have to use PTO time. Yeah, I don't even have the CHOICE of working or not, yet I have to take PTO time. Most of these other places are closed for a week or more and their employees get that time for free. This week is the one week a year that I feel shit on. I don't have enough vacation time to take a whole week off so here I sit.

Now of course on Sunday afternoon, after having 4 days off, I was ready to go back to work. Ready to escape the house and all that together time. But two days back was enough. Two days of twiddling my thumbs and surfing the net was enough for me. After coming home from work at night to hear about how bored my poor, suffering child is and how crazed my poor work-at-home husband is, is enough to make me want to take a day at home just to shut everyone up.

And since we're talking about things I hate, let me also touch on great office gift exchange. I hate that too. I don't buy anything for my coworkers. I spend 40 hours a week with them. Isn't that gift enough? But seriously, it's like buying for a stranger. You don't want to spend too much but you feel like you have to get them something (this excludes me of course). So what did I get this year? A candle (from a chick that sells them on the side), and a pair of socks (which may or may not have been used) and some Mary Kay products (again, from a chick that sells it on the side). I know I sound like a grinch but I would really rather have nothing. If you feel so compelled to do something for me, give the $5 to charity. GLAAD is having a $5 donation campaign right now. There you go! If you're a Jesus Freak, then give it to your church or buy a toy for a child in need. That would mean so much more to me than used socks.

It's funny how all those religious people are crying out that we need to remember "the reason for the season!" yet those are the same people who are buying these little shit gifts for everyone. If you don't know what to get me, ask. I'll tell you. If I have no ideas, then do what I mentioned above and donate to charity or buy something for a child in need. Or better yet, buy me a vacation cause I sure could use one right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment